[OM] Re: [OT]... chicken and aircraft, but were afraid to ask..

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]... chicken and aircraft, but were afraid to ask..
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:38:59 -0600
>I saw that Mythbuster's episode, and to the best of my recollection at this
>time (I've been a witness once or twice and know the weasel words), they
>were >shooting the chickens at something like an old single-engine Cessna,
>or some such, certainly nothing in the class of aircraft you reference.

Then, in my opinion, they didn't bust anything, as those windshields wern't
designed or tested for such.

> As an aside, during the early days of my time as a TV news
> reporter/photographer, I covered the official opening of the Arnold
> Engineering & Development Center near Tullahoma, Tennessee (which is not
> too far from the Jack Daniel's Distillery, but that's a story for another
> day).  We got to see their chicken cannon in action.  Most impressive.
> And loud.  Their chickens were barely dead Rhode Island Reds, probably
> still warm, eyes open with a look of surprise, and complete with feathers,
> feet and guts.  And before then, I thought a giant bug on the windshield
> made a yucky mess.

Ours wern't that fresh. A yucky mess it was indeed. There were no
recognisable parts, no feathers at all, no feet, no beaks, nothing but a
near liquid. With no flying feathers, it does take away some of the fun.

Bill Pearce