[OM] Re: Someone Died at Olympus

Subject: [OM] Re: Someone Died at Olympus
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:43:42 +1100
I got my grubby little hands on one this afternoon - it is very
sweet. It was only a touch - I get a media sample before the end of
the week.
Balances nicely with the 14-54mm on it and the Live View (Mode A) is
really nice. Mode B is seriously good for Macro and studio work and
as it is manual focussing anyway, would work really well 'with'
heritage' lenses (it features a 10x focussing aide magnification at
the touch of a button - you'll not need a split screen).
The product manager confirmed thet the E-1 successor will be
announced at PMA, end of Feb.
He would not confirm that the E-330 chip was a Panasonic/Matsushita
but looked coy and the description matched the homework I had with me
about it. Fundamentally, it is a chip where the pixel's receptive
area is the same as on a CCD - much larger than a regular CMOS. They
are claiming that it is low current and so does not overheat - hence
the ability to do the Mode B. He was also claiming that 1600 ISO will
be useable but that remains to be seen.
As to 'savvy marketing' - I prefer Panasonic themselves - they're
flying me up to Sydney for a day and a night for a free shoot around
the beaches with new products. That's the kind of marketing I like!
AndrewF