[OM] Re: Pen F/FT ownership - potential pitfalls

Subject: [OM] Re: Pen F/FT ownership - potential pitfalls
From: "om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:26:06 -0500
Nice cameras, nice, ultra-tiny lenses.  A good kit would be an F/FT and a
20/3.5 (28mm equiv),  40/1.4, and a 70/2 or 100/3.5.  It will all fit in a
tiny case.

<<< Some questions:
<<< -  F versus FT (e.g., FT uses mercury batteries, stand alone light
meter
for F)?

I like the FV the most, as it has the newer mechanics and the brightest
finder.  An FV is essentially an FT without the meter and it's
light-stealing meter.  And the meter in an FT is the PITA "light value",
where you see a number in the finder for a given SS, and then transfer it
to the lens via a special aperture scale on a reversible aperture ring.

You can use a CRIS adapter for the FT to gain meter use, if it still works.
Otherwise use a hand-held meter.

I also like the F's, even though I know parts are only available via
cannibalization.  Many are very smooth and their bright fresnel finder is
nice for my longer 150/4 lens.  The double-stroke operation is quaint.

<<< -  Repairability (e.g., to what extent are they economically
repairable;
what problems to avoid)?

John's the expert there.

-  Buying F/FT lenses (e.g., is element separation is a concern; should
one stay away from the older zuikos)?

I've never heard of any big problems.  The 40/1.4 lenses are the easiest to
focus, esp on an FT.  I'd stick with later lenses with the reversible
aperture ring, otherwise their operation with an FT is relagated to a
hand-held meter.  Olympus did sell stick-on numbers for "upgrading" older
lenses, but I've never seen such items for sale.

Skip

http://mail2web.com/ .