[OM] Re: Long term survival of prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Long term survival of prints
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:22:05 -0800
I agree with you here, Schnozz. On another venue, I was involved in
quite a heated discussion recently about this very issue. There is a
significant fraction of (mostly younger) photographers who are convinced
that this "isn't an issue". According to them, one just has to make a
set of backups, one to CD/DVD and another to HD, store both in drawers
in one's office, and all will be well as "digital doesn't degrade like
film and silver prints do".

I suggested that when they had 150 years' storage on either, they should
report back on their image recovery rates :-)

It's a significant issue, and one about which organizations like NARA
and the British Museum are concerned. Between technology obsolescence,
unpredictable failure of CD/DVD recordable media, and the potential that
even stored, unused HDs may fail unnoticed, it's not going be an easy
issue to solve. In one article regarding archival storage of digital
data which I recently read, it was estimated that maintaining
high-probability-of-recovery storage could account for many orders of
magnitude more cost than the original production of the data.

It's not just photos, either. Much of the world's information of all
types is rapidly becoming digital-only.

---
Scott Gomez