[OM] Re: Long term survival of prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Long term survival of prints
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:43:42 -0500
May not be comparable, but throughout the '80s I recorded a lot of my
vinyl disks to cassette tape using a high end Nakamichi deck.  Over
the years I've gotten lazy and listen to CDs.  Recently wanted to hear
some music that is on one of my tapes.  Was stunned by how bad it
sounds.  And yes, believe it or not, I'm still using the same
components as I did over 20 years ago so they aren't variables in this
equation.

Data CD/DVD storage may well be superior -- or not.  The big concern
for me is that image files that lose a few bits may be impossible to
load even if the technology to load and print them still exists.  I
might be able to put up with music that sounds dull and flat due to
lost data, but image files are notoriously difficult to repair.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1