[OM] Re: ZD 18-180 [was e-330, is this what we have been waiting for fro

Subject: [OM] Re: ZD 18-180 [was e-330, is this what we have been waiting for from]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 17:18:20 +1100
Convenience, right? Trouble is that they do not perform that well (as
yet), they're slow, they're expensive (relatively) and they're large.
As for using them quickly (no time for changes) - that's also fraught
with problems as camera settings for long tele are often quite
different so jumping from say 30mm to full stretch should usually
necessitate some adjustments anyway. A mode to S mode and upping the
ISO for instance.
The Nikon 18-200mm VR that started this is very good in the wide to
moderate tele range, say 18-120mm. Then it's downhill. So, to me  it
would be more sensible to make a shorter 6X zoom and make it faster.
I'm fairly sure that it would cover your needs for relationships in
beautiful areas. :)
I suspect that these are being produced to compete with the 10 and
12x zooms being produced in small EVF cameras. It kind of misses the
point of a DSLR I think. You might be happier with an Oly SP-500UZ -
it is very small and light, 38-380 equivalent and very sharp
(although there's some serious in-camera sharpening going on!) Or a
canon S2, Sony H1. And it's small so shouldn't get in the way of
whatever you are doing out there!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.pbase.com/afildes