[OM] Re: Vintage E-1 matters and T20 flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Vintage E-1 matters and T20 flash
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:08:57 +1300
Skip helpfully wrote

> Did you try taping over the third contact on the bottom of the T-20?  It might
> be trying to talk to the E-1's TTL-OTF circuitry.
>
> Skip

Thanks, Skip.  I had a close look at the alignment of the contacts, and there
is no way that the T20 contacts, other than the central one and the lateral
"earth" contacts, could make connection with the E-1 contacts. The two
contacts (prongs) on the T20 that are lifted in unison by the operation of the
central probe, can contact only non-conducting black plastic in the E-1 shoe.
So I can not see how taping these contacts would make any difference to
conductivity.

HOWEVER, the darn thing now fires on the E-1. Don't know why not the first
times. ESP maybe, and it sensed what I was thinking!!.  The only difference I
can see is that the first tests were conducted in near dark, the current tests
with some daylight.

The current issue now is to get the E-1 to make well exposed images. So far
they are grossly over exposed. The shutter stays open far too long, f/22 at
1.5 metres in A mode. Working on that now. P setting is worse.

Whether the T20 is set on manual or auto makes little change. (Don't see
how it could, as the panel seems to be merely a sliding-rule kind of
calculator. I can't see any electrical connection to the flash circuitry)

If the worst comes to the worst, I will control the issue by using Manual
mode, and judge the goodness of the exposure from the rear screen picture.
But that seems to be a clumsy solution. The camera should solve this
automatically.

Brian