[OM] Re: OM to telescope

Subject: [OM] Re: OM to telescope
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:03:49 -0000
Olli, quoting the eSIF page concerning the OM Astroscope adapter:
"Both direct focus photography and higher magnification photography are
possible.       This 5-piece adapter system permits astrophotography by the
OM body attached to a telescope... It consists of an OM-Mount adapter part,
Direct Focus Ring, Enlarging Tube, Telescope Connector Tube and a Reverse
Ring. It enables direct objective photography and high magnification
photography through the telescope eyepiece."

So the answer to your question is "both" - you can use the telescope alone
as the lens, or you can also fit the eyepiece to get higher magnification.
But in either case, you don't use the camera (photographic) lens.

It would be a good idea to get hold of a copy of the Astroscope adaptor
manual (it's a single sheet of paper) either from that list member, or
another who recently bought an Astroscope adaptor on the auction site (from
a third list member, I think).  Before you invest in the OM Astroscope
adaptor, I strongly suggest you check the TAL eyepiece for compatibility.
The TAL I bought several years ago has eyepieces which did not work with the
OM Astroscope adaptor, which I duly sold (to a list member).

An alternative to the OM Astroscope adaptor is the offering from SRB in UK
which is more flexible - look on page 9 of their pricelist here:
http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/pdffulllist.pdf

But before you do any of that, I also suggest that you get the TAL-1 in
proper polar alignment, and then get in some practice on tracking some
celestial objects smoothly, since the exposure times you will need (and the
magnification factors you will have) will be great enough for the object to
move across the field of view pretty fast.

And one other recommendation.  Formaer list member Michael Covington has an
excellent book on the subject, which is detailed on his equally excellent
website: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/astro/

--
Piers