[OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005

Subject: [OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 06:37:49 -0500
I'm using a pair of 160 GB IDE drives mounted in USB conversion cases to
do my backup.  I have no concerns about their electronic or mechanical
life since the only time they're ever powered on is when they're
actually performing a backup which is, at most, once a week.  I'm too
lazy to do it more often than that.  I also don't back them both up at
the same time to minimze (but not eliminate) the chance of copying a
virus or damaged file onto both backups.  One of them could certainly
have a premature failure but not likely both at the same time.

I have no clue how fast their tiny magnetic domains are leaking their
life blood into the void but the drives will probably be replaced with
something newer within 3 years or so and I'm sure they'll last at least
that long.  I also purchased an extra IDE to USB conversion case in the
event that it's the case conversion electronics that fail.  I suspect
these will no longer be available within a few years.

I also back up images to pedestrian CD-R's.  One of these days I intend
to add MAM-A gold CD-R's to the mix for images only but inertia and
lethargy have impeded any action.  With rebates, a pair of 160 GB drives
with USB conversion cases costs about $140 or just $5 more than 100
MAM-A gold CD-R's.  That's 320 GB total capacity vs. about 65 GB
capacity.  That makes the MAM-A CD-R's almost 5 times as expensive as
the HD solution.

Chuck Norcutt