[OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:09:37 -0400
Quoting AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>:

> 4. Roll film adaptor. It looks like the Nikon roll-film adaptor
> will work with the IV, 4000, V and 5000.  I will continue to
> shoot film and most likely just have it process-only. After
> scanning, I'll slice and dice the negatives into the poly sheets
> for archival storage. This would include slide film too.  No
> need for the mounts.
>
> The 4000 and 5000 take the bulk slide loader.  This is a nice
> feature and something that could pay for itself in time savings.
> Besides, once I get past the bulk loading phase, I can sell off
> the loader as I'll then be converted over to uncut film for all
> future use.

As far as I know, the V won't take the roll film adaptor (it's not listed in the
specs for the V on Nikon USA's site). From the sound of things, that's a major
feature you're looking for. If that's the case then I'd say you need to go for
the 4000 or 5000.

Not sure how well either bulk feeder (slide or roll) works so you might want to
double check on that. For instance, for the slide feeder I'd be concerned about
how well it takes various types of mounts (wouldn't surprise me if cardboard
mounts were a no-no). For the roll film, I'd be interested in how well it
handles the frame spacing, you'd need to have that correct or else you'd have a
gradual drift as you went through the roll, which could add up to a lot by the
time you got to the 36th or 37th frame.

Something else to consider would be workflow. What software do you plan to use
and how well does it support the scanner and its bulk features? I've had a bit
of trouble with getting Vuescan working with my Canon 9950F but it was mostly
just a question of tweaking things to get the spacing right (and it's a flatbed
so you're working with X and Y spacing), once I got that it was fine.