[OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005

Subject: [OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:59:06 -0500
Maybe, but it would be hard to prove it by me.  I have been running hard
drives on my personal, at home computers since 1983.  For at least 10 of
those years (until very recently) I've had two drives installed so that
one could mirror the other.  Every one of the drives used over that
period of time was restarted at least once per day and frequently 2-4
times per day.  If I plan to be gone more than a couple of hours I shut
down the computer.  Also, for the last couple of years my wife has also
had her own computer which is treated the same way but rarely gets
booted more than once per day.

During that time I have had one drive failure which was so long ago I
can't recall the brand or the size or even any details about how the
failure manifested itself.  Two or three  years ago I thought I had a
second failure on a Maxtor drive and returned it to them under warranty.
  They returned is as "no trouble found" and I eventually discovered
that the failure was actually an intermittent failure on one channel of
the disk controller.  I replaced the motherboard and all was well.

While I accept that I am *possibly* shortening the theoretical MTBF the
actual MTBF appears to be longer than the time interval during which I
eventually consider the drives to be obsolete and replace them with
larger capacity drives.  That's probably about three years so I estimate
that the drives are certainly good for at least 1,500 restarts if not
way more than that.

Chuck Norcutt