[OM] CF card prices + Re: LCD covers for E-1

Subject: [OM] CF card prices + Re: LCD covers for E-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:00:04 -0500
I have no experience with these covers but it seems that it would be
hard to go very much wrong at the price as long as you're able to
combine it with another order from B&H so you don't have to pay a
separate shipping charge.

Speaking of B&H and prices I noticed this morning first, an article
saying that SanDisk was going to get very aggressive on prices for CF
cards.  I checked Froogle and, at first, it didn't seem that the retail
market had gotten that message until I got to B&H.  I was slightly
startled to see that 2GB Ultra II CF cards are selling for $89.95 or the
same as 1GB Ultra II CF cards were selling for not so many months ago.

That also reminded me of a discussion the other day about when digital
storage media would be cheap enought to simply not reuse it and treat
the cards like permanent negatives.

For Oly users, unfortunately, raw files for the E-500 are larger than
even the raw files for the Canon 5D.  But, assuming $5.00 for a 36
exposure roll for film and developing, further price reductions by
factors of 3-4 will make flash cards for even the 5D as cheap to store
permanently as it is to develop and store film.

Chuck Norcutt