[OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005

Subject: [OM] Re: CD, DVD lives, July 2005
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:23:45 -0800
Doing a clean install rather than upgrade in place seems to be "demanded" by
the support people at small offices. I don't know what problems they've seen
if any but some don't want to touch a computer that had an upgradel in place
performed.

I would add even more emphasis to Scott's caution about >120G. I fought a
Dell 4550(?) for most of a summer trying to get a 250G drive installed. It
seemed to be working then a couple weeks later files would disappear and the
system wouldn't even boot. I put a new controller card with its own BIOS in
the computer and it seems to be working but I'm still booting from the
original drive and using the 250G for data.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Richard,

Most upgrade versions of Windows can be installed successfully as long
as you've got the original CD for a non-upgrade earlier version. It'll
simply ask you to insert the old CD for verification during the
installation process.

snip

Disks at or under 120 MB in size should work with few issues on
most systems. Those over 120MB may require partitioning software to be
used on older machines.

---
Scott Gomez