[OM] Re: Scanner Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner Advice
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:43:30 +0000
Martyn,

I have had one for about a week now, and I'm very impressed - but then
this is my first scanner with any real film scanning capability. I had
been wondering about getting one for a while but then it seemed that a
few of the regular photo web sites I visit were singing its praises
again, so I took the plunge.

If you have read the reviews you will have no doubt come across the very
detailed one at www.photo-i.co.uk
(http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%204990/Page%201.htm)

I'm sure it is not as good as a dedicated film scanner, but my
justification went like this
   It is certainly good enough for what I need
   It is significantly cheaper than a dedicated film scanner
   It can scan 8 slides or 4 film strips at once
   It can also scan prints - with digital ICE!

I have a few of my scans in my online gallery:
There are 2 Kodachrome slide scans in this album:
http://gallery.whizzkid.co.uk/Misc/ "View across the water" and
"Windermere Steamers at dawn"

All the ones in this album (less interesting subject matter) were
scanned from negatives: http://gallery.whizzkid.co.uk/OldStuff/OldHeyTop/

All were taken using my trusty OM-4 and scanned at 3200dpi.

Let me know if you want any original scans.

I'm in the UK and I got mine from Amazon - the price seems to vary +/-
£5 from day to day but it is still a good deal since delivery is free on it.

Regards,

Mike.