[OM] More on Scanner's

Subject: [OM] More on Scanner's
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:22:44 +0100
A comment made by a pal at work got me thinking about this scanning
stuff. He has scanned some of my kodachromes on his coolscan V  and to
be honest I am not overly impressed and the resulting tiff file sizes
are around 35 - 40 mb. On screen however they don't compare to a 10Mb
raw olympus file. If I got a minolta 5400 II then I could get 200Mb
files but why would I want to do that when a 10Mb raw file is sufficient
for my needs.

He then commented that he usually scans at 2000dpi for printing. so my
question is how many of you actually scan at full resolution and how
often. The reason being is if you scan at only half resolution the nikon
give 2000dpi and the 5400 will give 2700dpi - so if this is how the
scanner is usually used why should i not consider the minolta scan Dual
IV which will give me 3200dpi for half the price. I know there will be
an advantage for cropping with the higher resolution, but I rarely crop
my photo's.

I am guessing that if I want one of the minolta scanners then I will
have to decide in the next few days, to make it more difficult there
doesn't seem to be much new information on the net about recent scanners.

IanW