[OM] Re: Incidence angle and digital sensors

Subject: [OM] Re: Incidence angle and digital sensors
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:00:55 -0800
I don't think there is any question about the advantage of
telecentricity. My problem with Oly was not only the exaggeration,
but that they invented the concept and the solution. They also
implied it was so important that all lenses had to be "digital".
Telecentricity is only important for wide angle lenses. There is no
problem with the angle of incidence with a 90/2 or probably even at
the wide end of the 35-80. Many of Nikon's wide angle lenses were
redesigned for telecentricity even for the  smaller DX sensor. The
puzzle is why Canon did not and their customers are seeking WA lenses
from other makers to adapt to their cameras, but maybe Canon also
thinks the advantage is exaggerated.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA