[OM] Re: 14-45mm vs 50mm 3.5 macro

Subject: [OM] Re: 14-45mm vs 50mm 3.5 macro
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:20:40 -0600
Piers,
        Funny you should mention that. As you probably noticed I went through a
major OM selling-off period that started around the time you purchased my
50/3.5. This was done ostensibly to finance an E-500 kit and to clear some
shelf space of the portion of my OM collection that just wasn't getting enough
use. My film kit now consists of an OM-2n, 24/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2.0,
300/4.5 and a Sunpak swivel/tilt flash. This lives at home. At work I keep my
old OM-1 (I couldn't bear to part with it) and an oddball collection of lenses:
Vivitar 28/2.0, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 and Tokina 90/2.5 Macro. Out of all
the fast primes and zooms I sold, the only one I really miss is the lowly
50/3.5. As my brother-in-law would say "Who'd ah thunk it."
        BTW, I'm very happy with the E-500 kit to which I added the ZD 11-22. I
considered the 7-14 but it was too wide (for my needs)and and simply too
expensive. I'm still wrestling with the digital storage issue but it has made
me a better photographer since there is no longer a financial disincentive to
experimentation. I've had a blast using the older lenses by way of the MF-1
adapter. The Tokina, as my 13 year old would say, really rocks and now goes to
1:1 without the adaptor I could never find. After Andrew posted his recent
comparison shots, I did a quick and dirty comparison with my 14-45 vs the
Voigtlander 40. I simply shot an image of my office desk: iso 200, WB
fluorescent 1, Aperture priority at f8. The Voigtlander I underexposed by 0.7
stops. The images were remarkably similar with the "analog" lens being only a
tad warmer. Sorry, I have no way to display; got to get me one of those web
pages one day.
        So, if you decide you no longer want the 50/3.5, let me know and I will
buy it back. With a suitable reduction in price of course. After all it has so
much more mileage what with crossing the Atlantic and all.  ;^)

Charlie