[OM] Re: om-2s, auto/manual light-metering don't agree.

Subject: [OM] Re: om-2s, auto/manual light-metering don't agree.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:51:03 -0500
You are apparently not familiar with the "eSIF" (electronic Sales
Information File), a wonderful collection of Olympus OM sales and
technical data lovingly constructed by Hans van Veluwen and also
available from him on a CD.  See it here posted on Mark's site:
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm>

Under "finder group/focusing screens" you will find what you're looking for.
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/findergroup/focusingscreens.htm>

The screens have a tab which is used to hold them with the
insertion/removal tweezers that should be in the plastic screen case.
The tabs have an ID number on them which identifies the screen type.
"1" series screens only have the screen type number and not the series
number.  "2" series screens have both the series and the type number
such as 2-4 or 2-13 (the only "2" series screens that exist).

Screens are removed by placing the camera on its back and releasing the
retaining frame latch at the front edge of the screen.  The retaining
frame will fall open and the screen can be removed by gripping its tab
with the tweezers.  Replacement is the reverse and the retaining frame
must be pushed back up until its latch clicks into place.  Be VERY
careful not to touch or scratch the screen itself since the plastic is
very soft and easily marred or scratched.

I believe that the original screen for the 2s (and most, if not all OM
bodies) is a 1-13.  The 1-8 is specifically designed for use with
telephoto lenses.  It does not work as well with wide angle lenses.
There is no "best" screen but only one which works best for a particular
type of lens or particular photo application or the one which is the
best compromise.  The 1-13 and 2-13 screens are good compromises.  The 2
series screens can (normally) only be used in 2sp and later bodies.
They are brighter but also rare and expensive these days.

Chuck Norcutt