[OM] Olympus Hardware Pages

Subject: [OM] Olympus Hardware Pages
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:35:16 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Piers Hemy wrote:

> And I assume congratulations on partially resolving the stand-off with OA
> lawyers, evidenced by other parts of the site now being available once more?

Well, sort of.  I didn't really get anywhere with them but I do have to give
Olympus America credit for trying to persuade Olympus Japan to allow me to
keep the OM pages up.  In the end Olympus Japan said "no", but that's to be
expected.  Having a lawyer ask such a question to some director is going to
result in them taking the easy way out and just saying no.  I argued with
them over the answer for a while but it was clear I wasn't going to get
anywhere. Annoying them wouldn't have helped matters, regardless of how
self-satisfying it may have been :-)  In the end I agreed to keep the stuff
off the web page, but that may change if I find they don't go after all the
people selling the stuff on eBay.  I know they're aware of it and they claim
they are going to do something about it.  If they continue to allow people to
sell the material then I don't see why I can't give it away free!  For now
we'll just have to do without the hardware drawings, that is, unless some of
you happen to find some sneaky back door links.  Not that I would ever do
such a thing, but starting a search at http://olympus.dementia.org may be a
good starting point :-)
                                                -mark