[OM] Re: [OT]Major Internet Changes

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Major Internet Changes
From: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:58:58 -0500
Verizon explained my basic phone service to me.  The line is $17 per
month, but if you want a dial tone, it's an extra $17.
___________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
http://www.zuiko.com  |  omtech1 AT verizon.net

ScottGee1 wrote:
> Hmmm . . . last I checked I *do* pay to use my phone line and a lot of
> people I know *are* paying for cable services.  And don't online
> merchants and services pay as well?
>
> Let me guess . . . the Telco want to be like the credit card companies
> and increase charges to users on both sides of the transaction.
>
> ScottGee1
>
> On 2/12/06, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Hearings are being held in Congress by Ted "Bridge to Nowhere Man"
>>Stevens on the internet. They appear to be at the behest of the giant
>>telephone companies.
>>
>>Big telco execs are on the record:
>>

>>AT&T's Ed Whitacre wants consumers and content providers to pay for
>>use of his network. "The Internet can't be free … for a Google or
>>Yahoo or Vonage or anybody to expect to use these pipes free is nuts."
>>

>>BellSouth's William Smith told reporters that he would like to turn
>>the Internet into a "pay-for-performance marketplace" where his
>>company could charge for the "right" to have certain services load
>>faster than others.
>>

>>Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg says that Web applications need to "share
>>the cost" of the broadband services already paid for by consumers.
>>"We need to pay for the pipe."
>>
>>If you were hoping for continued cheap or cheaper access it may not
>>happen. You might want to find out more about it and take the action
>>you think is appropriate.
>>

>>Winsor
>>Long Beach, California, USA

-- Type: text/x-vcard