[OM] Re: Olympus-Odyssey

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus-Odyssey
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:46:50 -0500
I posted some explanatory text along with the 4 photos I sent for the
Odyssey not thinking that there really wasn't any place to put it with
the photos.  All four photos show areas related to the start of the
American Revolution.
<http://www.olympus-photography.com/Olympus-Odyssey/gallery.htm>

Here's what was meant to go along with it.

General description:
These four photos were taken within the confines of Minuteman National
Park <http://www.nps.gov/mima/vcenter.htm> which preserves areas
specific to the opening rounds of the American Revolution on April 19,
1775.  The park is a bit unusual in that it is long and narrow.  The
reason is that it encompasses much of the original dirt road between
Lexington and Concord which was the scene of considerable fighting.
<http://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/mima/ppMaps/ACF62.pdf>
<http://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/mima/ppMaps/MIMAmap2.pdf>

On the morning of April 19, 1775, British Major John Pitcairn led a
contingent of about 700 troops on a march from Boston through the
neighboring towns of Lexington and Concord in search of illegal arms
caches.  The British intentions were known and signaled to the
surrounding countryside by Paul Revere.  At Lexington the British were
met by a small group of about 70 colonial Minutemen where a fight broke
out leading to 8 Americans killed.  The British continued marching to
Concord where they were met by a large contingent of Minutemen who
opposed their crossing the Old North Bridge.  A significant battle
ensued and the British were forced to retreat back to Boston, all the
time being sniped at by an ever gathering number of Minutemen.  As the
colonials continued to flow in from the countryside they eventually
outnumbered the British about 6:1 and caused losses to Pitcairn's forces
of about 20 percent.  For more see:
<http://www.americanrevolution.com/LexingtonandConcord.htm>

Chuck Norcutt