[OM] Re: Which equipment to Thailand?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which equipment to Thailand?
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:20:19 -0700
> Now I am thinking of this set:
> -OM-10 (I do not dare to take OM4Ti, it is even more precious to me than E1)

  I'd think twice about this -- the OM4Ti will give you a lot more
opportunity to get things exposed correctly, and an OM10 has a higher
chance of stopping working due to oily magnet or such, which will leave
you very much stuck.

  And as far as stealing goes, it doesn't look any more expensive than
an OM10 to the average thief. (heck, they're not terribly expensive to
replace, even; KEH has a bargain one for $325, or an EX for $465).
(whoa, what happened to KEH's web site? It's all awkward to navigate
now, yuck).

> -E1 & 14-54

  This is definitely the way to go for digital but, again, I'd consider
leaving this behind. It's a lot bigger and heavier than the film
cameras, and (this is just my personal opinion, of course) I still
wouldn't use a digital for any photos that I really wanted to keep or
couldn't re-take -- having real physical negatives is a lot more
permanent than digital images.

> -21/3.5
> -50/1.8 (to have a quick lens for low light conditions)
> -90/2.0
> -FL36

  If you want to go super-lightweight, you could replace the 50/1.8 and
90/2 with a 50/3.5 -- it's _sunny_ in Thailand.. On the other hand, your
suggestion is a very nice trio of lenses that shouldn't be too heavy and
still gives you a good selection of options.

  -- dan