[OM] Re: My first E-500 photos

Subject: [OM] Re: My first E-500 photos
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:36:27 +1100
Charlie wrote:
>How did you get the elevated viewpoint on some of the shots?

Floodplain and Reflections were taken from a bridge. Triangle was from a
road looking across a gully.

Piers wrote:
>Would the term "bonzer" be appropriate as a complimentary comment, Andrew?

Bonzer fits well, thanks Piers!

Graham (GeeBee) wrote:
>Beautiful shots every single one with 'Triangle being my particular
>favourite. Had to chuckle at the gallery name 'dev-stop-fix'. Maybe
>'stop-developing and fixing' would be more appropriate' :-)

I'm guilty of choosing a domain name that didn't allow for 'expansion'.  I
thought dev-stop-fix was a good choice for a b&w gallery site but now I'm
getting into digital (and color) it doesn't fit anymore.  Time to think of
a new domain name I think...

ScottGee1 wrote:
>Very nice Andrew!  Since you shot three of the four at 1/8 second
>should be assume you used a tripod?  Or the image stabilization --
>oops!  Nevermind . . .  ;o)
>
>I continue to be impressed with how the 500 handles tonal transitions.
>  This is especially remarkable in 'Reflections' even though it's very
>compressed for screen viewing.

Yep, tripod mounted (on my trusty Manfrotto).  Image stabilization is for
P&S users and lazy DSLR users - says he who's camera doesn't do it.  ;-)

The 'Reflections' .jpg was saved at the 80% quality setting (as were the
other photos) so it's not overly compressed.  What looks like .jpg
artefacts are actually ripples and insects in the water.  You're right
about the tonal transitions, the water looks nice doesn't it?

Moose wrote:
>Very nice! The hills in Floodplain could easily have been a couple of
>miles from here in our summer. Do yours also turn luscious green in winter?
>
>Triangle could be a bit further away, but not far.

Two months ago the hills in the picture were a bright green, then the
summer heat struck and within a couple of weeks everything turned to straw
(in the literal sense and the color sense).  The green patches on the
floodplain are there because the dam level is dropping, a few weeks ago
these trees were half submerged, you can see the waterline on the trunks
where they change from brown to white.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my photos.  Foe those wondering what
we're talking about the gallery is at http://dev-stop-fix.com/g_dig_lscape.php

Andrew McPhee