[OM] OT - Successor to F10/11, CCD advances further in low noise?

Subject: [OM] OT - Successor to F10/11, CCD advances further in low noise?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:57:48 -0800
Fuji certainly seems to know how to ride a winning streak.

Fuji has taken the basic F11 and added iso 3200, longer shutter speeds,
a special flash mode to balance ambient light with flash and a higher
rez LCD with anti-reflective coating added. Looks like another metering
mode and maybe improved AF system, too.

Looks like they are ahead of the curve in seeing that the megapixel race
for compacts is about over and focusing on other performance attributes
that can deliver better pics for their target market. Of their flash,
they say:

"The FinePix F30 Zoom showcases a new ‘intelligent flash’ system which
uses the camera’s exceptional sensitivity to combine natural foreground
illumination with balanced exposure in the background. Avoiding both the
messy background blur of ‘slow-sync’ flash, and the stark contrast of
conventional flash, this will bring your after-hours photography to life."

Aimed directly at a huge number of P&S user shots, and a type that's
often disappointing.

Looks like another marketplace winner. Whether it really delivers on the
speed won't be known for a while. Is it really an improvement, with 6th.
gen. CCD and Real PhotoProcessor II vs. 5th. and I? Or did they just
crank up the gain and the noise processing? Well, 1600 on the F10 does
lose some detail resolution to the noise reduction, but it's not bad at all.

I hope the E-330 is the start of a leap ahead of the curve for Oly in
that new category they are defining with it - and that they will be
nimble enough to stay ahead! And when can I go check out an E-330 in
person???

Moose