[OM] Re: OT - Successor to F10/11, CCD advances further in low noise?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Successor to F10/11, CCD advances further in low noise?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:11:30 -0800
There are some additional interesting things about the new
announcements.

Fuji is interesting, I think,  because of the low noise, high ISO
cameras along side more conventional cameras. There was a thread by
someone on the Fuji forum at dpreview who decided to use the raw
feature of his E900 with a 3d party processing software and found
that it was loaded with noise even though the jpg processing in the
camera gave a noise free image. While it does not have the super low
noise sensor in the F10/11 it is still better than the average and
they provide an "anti-shake" feature which is just an ISO adjustment
for use in low light. All of which is to say is that much of the low
noise feature of the Fuji sensors seems to be in-camera post
processing. The structure of the chip may help, but it is possible
that others may be finding post processing solutions that will go in
the same direction.

There is an interesting announcement as well for Olympus' new partner
Panasonic.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01
Pre-PMA 2006: Panasonic has today announced the successor to the DMC-
FX9, the Lumix DMC-FX01, which boasts a 28mm wide angle Leica DC zoom
lens. The new High Sensitivity mode means that the DMC-FX01 can shoot
up to a maximum sensitivity setting of ISO 1600. The FX01 also
incorporates Panasonic's Optical Image Stabiliser which should help
keep those shaky images to a minimum. (08:00 GMT)

So here is another camera touting a high ISO setting saying how
useful it is to make pictures indoors without flash with a 1/2.5"
sensor. Makes you wonder whether something new is being discovered
with low noise processing that may be in the E-1 successor.

Is the viewfinder going away completely?

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA