[OM] Re: Which equipment to Thailand?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which equipment to Thailand?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:33:01 -0800
Olli Hänninen wrote:

>Thanks for the ideas on seal-able plastic bags. Worst case scenario is that
>a boat turns upside down and my bodies and lenses get soaking wet. By
>keeping some equipment in plastic bags I will protect atleast some of my
>equipment. Or am I just being too paranoid? :-)

Never been to SE Asia. I did spent 3 weeks in Central America, which
involved some "interesting" small boat travel. Ever gone out the mouth a
fair sized river into the incoming waves in a small boat? Pretty
exciting, and there were other opportunities for liquid disaster to
strike...

I also spent quite a bit of time in mountain and swamp rain forests. The
air conditioned room solution proposed in other posts wasn't available
most of where I was. In the rain forests, nothing at all is ever quite
dry. Quite odd for a temperate zone fellow.

All camera equipment was kept in zip lock bags whenever not in use. I
took along lots of little bags of silica gel, throughly dried out at
home and also sealed up air tight. The back-up body and lens were sealed
in double bags at home with gel in them. Ended up going home that way
too, but their presence was welcome at a few points in the trip.

The working gear, OM-2n, Tokina 28mm, 35-70/3.6, 100/2.8 and Tokina
80-200 were kept in zip locks with the air sucked out and gel packets
inside whenever not in use for long. I slowly switched used for fresh
Gel packs through the trip. Again, there was generally no place to dry
them out.

Whether it was all overkill, I don't know. I know everything performed
perfectly and came home in fine shape. I did see a Nik*n wunderbrick go
crazy in the jungle. It started making all kinds of odd noises and the
AF ran in and out like crazy. The serious, lengthy damp isn't good for
unsealed electronics. OM-2n was unfazed. I didn't try it on the river
rafting, so no pics. I should have taken something waterproof. :-(  Sure
was fun, though.  :-) No warm water like that around here.

Moose