[OM] Re: Customs Charges?

Subject: [OM] Re: Customs Charges?
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:09:33 -0000 (GMT)

> I looked into it and spoke to HMCE (as it was then, it's now HMRC) and
> basically it was a very complicated procedure indeed, involving various
> forms to prove prior ownership and that you shipped the item for
> repairs, etc., and oodles of paperwork, with a lot of it at HMCE
> discretion at the end of it all.
>
> You would be charged duty and VAT on the value of the repairs and the
> shipping charge in any case.
>
> My advice is to find someone in the UK if at all possible. Following
> advice on this list, I've sent various items to Michael Spencer and have
> been very pleased with the service, etc. Full details on request.
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

In the last 6 months I have had lots of problems with customs in the uk.
If the postage cost is not *clearly* stated on the customs form then they
invent their own which is typically 2 or 3 times what I actually paid and
you then pay duty on that invented ammount and then vat is applied to the
total. This is even if the ammount on the duty form says total incdluding
postage. They still require a break down or you will pay dity and vat on
the actual postage AND their invented ammount. FYI a negligable weight
item is considerred to have cost at least 20 pounds to ship and THEN there
is increments for the actual weight. Trying to sort out the mess is a
waste of time. Also unless you have an account with the carriers you have
to pay a deferment charge because you did not pay the duty the instant the
item enterred the uk, this depends on the carrier but typically its 7 to
10 pounds but can be more.
Yes you will have to pay duty and then vat on top of servicing cost,
insurance cost, handling costs etc. And if you need to send the item back
for any reason then it is a mess of paper work. All these charges etc
apply regardless of if the item is new or second hand.

Regards
James