[OM] Re: Picture of my week

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture of my week
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:51:07 -0500
I've noticed this on a number of composite photos.  The reason it looks
fabricated is that the outside is equal to or less bright than the
inside which is unnatural.  You need a good exposure for the outdoors
and the indoors needs to be a bit darker.  Even overexposing the outdoor
portion a bit is preferable to underexposure since it will still look
"natural".

I sometimes end up with the same unnatural effect if I get a little too
strong on the fill flash.  Instead of filling and lightening shadows the
flash suddenly becomes the main light and the sunlit background is
dimmer and looks fake.  It can also happen if the subject is in the
shade but you end up trying to compete with the sun in the background.
In particular, I remember a family group shot beside a lake in the fall.
  The family had located this spot and insisted that this is where the
family photo was to be taken.  The background was beautiful fall foliage
fully lit by the late afternoon sun.  But the family was in dense shade
cast by a hill and trees.  Trying to bring the brightness of the people
up with a lot of flash power ended up make a photo that looked like it
had been taken in a studio with a painted lake/foliage background.  It
was awful.

Chuck Norcutt