[OM] Re: Picture of my week

Subject: [OM] Re: Picture of my week
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:54:53 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>I've noticed this on a number of composite photos.  The reason it looks
>fabricated is that the outside is equal to or less bright than the
>inside which is unnatural.  You need a good exposure for the outdoors
>and the indoors needs to be a bit darker.  Even overexposing the outdoor
>portion a bit is preferable to underexposure since it will still look
>"natural".
>
>I sometimes end up with the same unnatural effect if I get a little too
>strong on the fill flash.  Instead of filling and lightening shadows the
>flash suddenly becomes the main light and the sunlit background is
>dimmer and looks fake.  It can also happen if the subject is in the
>shade but you end up trying to compete with the sun in the background.

It's a limitation I run into woth "fixing" snaps taken in direct sun.
Even if the shadow tonal detail is there on film or in a RAW file, I
can't bring it up to far without getting an unnatural appearance. Our
vision system knows how light works out in the world and we can only
trick it so far.

It's much easier to add contrast to a flat image, than to recover
shadows in one taken in strong, direct light.

Moose