[OM] Re: Olympus prototype spotted

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus prototype spotted
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:35:57 +0100
Well, it was the (in)famous "OM-X" as Maitani itself stated in an
interesting interview reported by the wonderful "Maitani & Olympus Fan
Pages" (see http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/om_interview_2.html).

As if that was not enough, that same site reports some oddities as the 85mm
f/1.4 prototype with "GRadient INdex" (GRIN :) special glass (that is a
glass whose refraction index is not constant but varies throughout its
volume, a solution currently only adopted by fiber optic cables) and the
50mm f/2 prototype which later evolved in the 40mm f/2.

Maitani itself pointed out that one of his dream was "constant f/2 zooms":
maybe was this dream that forced current Olympus optical engineers to
provide Digital Zuiko f/2 zooms.. Who knows!

My two cents...

Regards from Italy

Fabio