[OM] Re: Info on Control Grip 1 and Electronic Flash Power Grip 2, and M

Subject: [OM] Re: Info on Control Grip 1 and Electronic Flash Power Grip 2, and Macro ...
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:43:00 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2006 8:09:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
orink@xxxxxxx writes:

I also  would like info on what I need to use the auto 80 f4 and 50 3.5 Macro

lenses. I understand there is a bellows  unit and slide copier but I  have no
idea about other parts and cables that would be  required.

Orin, this will get you started. Put the 50mm f3.5 on one of your OM bodies
and go out and discover what it will do.  Many use it as their "normal"  lens.

The extension tubes are used to allow you to focus closer with essentially
any lens than would be possible without the tube.  So, if a lens would
normally focus to 18 inches, it will focus closer when you use an extension
tube  or
a combination of tubes.  It will also require a long exposure, however  each
of you cameras has a meter, so, no problem.  Try using a tube (or  tubes) with
some of your medium telephoto lenses (85 to 135mm length) when  doing insects
on flowers.  You won't have to get as close as you would  if using the shorter
lenses.  I almost always have a set of tubes in my  kit.  When using the
tubes, you will not be able to focus on infinity ( I  believe that is correct,
but
give it a try).

The 80mm will require a bellows or Telescoping auto extension tube. With  the
bellows you will want a double cable release.  There is a slide  duplicator
available for use with the bellows.  All of these turn up on  eBay.  You may
also post a WTB message on the list.  This is  often a good place to find what
you want or need.   Just start your  subject line with WTB and then let folks
know what you are looking for in the  body of your message.  There are several
people (myself included) on the  list who buy, sell and trade in stuff OM.

"The OM System Lens Handbook" an Olympus publication,  "The World of
OM-Systems" by Franz Pangerl and "The Olympus OM Way" by L.A. Mannheim are all
great
reference resources.  Keep am eye out for any or all of the  three.
"Photography" by Barbara London, et al. is also a good basic  photography
reference.

Bill Barber