[OM] Buttons/dials rant (was Panasonic/Leica 4/3'rds Items)

Subject: [OM] Buttons/dials rant (was Panasonic/Leica 4/3'rds Items)
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:43:41 +1100
I also like the idea of 'traditional' controls on a DSLR.  Fiddling with
multi-function dials and buttons sucks.

Heck, gimme any camera made over the past 100 years and I'll have it
figured out within 5 minutes.  But put a DSLR in my hands and it'll take me
a month - it's taken me that long to find out what all the buttons and
switches do on my E-500 (and I still can't leave home without the manual).

Most of them will be staying set in the default position and will rarely
(if ever) get moved from there.  Boy I just love paying for 'features' that
I'll never use...

Anyway, that new Panasonic DMC-L1 DSLR has nice clean styling, it has a
traditional rangefinder look about it.  And with those 'trad' controls I
find it tempting as a back-up body (or maybe I'd like it so much the E-500
would become the back-up!).

Andrew McPhee