[OM] Re: [Digital] It's over

Subject: [OM] Re: [Digital] It's over
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:45:14 -0800
Sadly, I agree. Oly's main weakness in my opinion has been their
ability to bring new product to market. It was true of the OMs and
why they faltered. It is why they brought a 5MP professional DSLR to
market 2 years too late and compelled them to drop their price to
compete against entry DSLRs with more resolution, drastically
destroying the profit margin they had planned for the E-1. The
increase in DSLR sales this year is predicted to be much smaller than
last and next year even less. Oly had a chance if they had brought a
competitive E-1 replacement and a finished lens line to market early
this year, but now I wonder about its future.

Is this the way free market capitalism works now? Fewer and fewer
choices? The last behemoth eating its last competitor and then
deciding that product is not profitable enough so nobody has a
camera? Seems like it used to work the other way round. What changed?

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA