[OM] Re: Archives

Subject: [OM] Re: Archives
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:18:04 -0600
You can get to the mirror, focusing screen, and underside of the prism
relatively easily on the OM-2s, so I assume you are trying to clean the
eyepiece.  Be aware, however, that (unlike all the other OM's) there are two
elements epoxied inside the eyepiece frame with a substantial air gap
between them, and this is often where debris collects.  While you can remove
the eyepiece assembly (after removing the top cover) to clean the rear of
the prism and the outer surface of the inner element in the eyepiece frame,
it is extremely difficult and risky to attempt to remove the inner element
in order to clean between them.  The elements in the eyepiece are rather
thin and easily chipped while attempting to chip out the epoxy holding them
in place.  Unless it's really, really severe, my suggestion is to leave well
enough alone.