[OM] Re: Solar eclipse photo advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Solar eclipse photo advice
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:11:07 -0600
Piers,
        For the solar transit of Venus a few years back I made two filters out
of sun filter film I purchased online from a dealer. I don't recall the name of
the film (I should be able to track it down when I get home today) but the film
gave an orange cast to the solar disk and appeared very "natural". I made two
devices: one out of a Quaker oatmeal box (which is paperboard) for my 500
reflex and a larger out of heavy gauge construction paper for my friend's 10"
Meade telescope. Both worked very well and I still have sight in both eyes. I
would think something like this would work very well for images taken before
totality and could be quickly removed during totality when heavy filtering is
not needed for visible light. As always: mind your eyes!

Charlie