[OM] Re: Dvorak's new rating system for P&S cams

Subject: [OM] Re: Dvorak's new rating system for P&S cams
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:57:27 -0600
There's a lesson for aspiring writers here. This guy has a knowledge base,
which some see as adequate, others see as sadly lacking, but allows him to
be at least dangerous on many computer related topics. He also has a bit of
business acumen, which could be aquired from careful reading of a few books
and some magazines. Add this to a nature of having strong opinions and a
willingness to share them in a public forum, and you have the makings of a
successful columnist. How much he makes off this column is not known, so he
either has a day job and this is nice,easy cream, or he has a journalism
background and performs other tasks at the magazine. Either way, he's not
starving. What the world needs is a rating system for guys like this (and TV
weathermen, too), based on a look backward at his predictions.

That said, I can't entirely dissagree with his list of points, although we
could all massage his point allocations. For those of us that really know
something about photography, the point scale won't mean a thing, but I do
like my local liquor stores that apply shelf tags that indicate magazine
scores of 85 and up. For those who know as much about cameras as I do about
wine, it might help.

On the other hand, Consumer's Reports makes a fine example of how this can
all go to hell in an instant.

I did go to his column predicting Apple abandoning their OS and going to
Windows. I wish a certain Pacific NW list member were still here to vent at
length about that!

Bill Pearce