[OM] Re: Q: Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon

Subject: [OM] Re: Q: Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:35:45 -0800
I have not done it, but I know people who have. If you are in
reasonably good shape you will have no problems. People who hike in
the Sierras say it is no big deal. The reason is that people who have
never in their lives climbed anything like your "day hikes" blithely
bop down to the Phantom Ranch with inadequate footwear, water, and
without a thought of the climb coming back. There is frequently a
temperature differential between the bottom and the top though. There
can be snow on the rim and 85 degrees at the ranch. Much of the trail
can be on a sunlit, airless, cliff face.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA