[OM] Re: Hajstorp, southwestern Sweden, last summer

Subject: [OM] Re: Hajstorp, southwestern Sweden, last summer
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 03:47:55 +0100
Le vendredi 03 Mars 2006 03:25, Moose a écrit :

Sorry for having caught the story backward. I just jumped on your post.

> >to add my own grain of salt, I'd advise to scan b&w pictures in color
> > mode, then use the in-software b&w converter. Rationale being that I have
> > a scanner which scan only in the red channel while in b&w mode; maybe
> > yours don't
>
> I don't know whether mine does or doesn't. It shouldn't matter. For one
> that does, and I suspect most do, your solution sounds right only if
> there is something wrong with the scanner. A true B&W source should
> produce the same results no matter which channel is used.

I understand that theoricaly you're perfectly right, but in my experience,
there's a big difference ; I think it's another illustration of the motto :
"in theory, theory and practice are the same, but not in practice". Then
again, if you're scanning from a negative, you've got only silver on the
film, so that's a true b&w, but with multigrade paper, I suspect the 2 layers
of emulsion are not exactly equivalent in terms of reflection. For instance,
ilford RC paper appears a bit "blue" after scanning, while Agfa looks
"brownish". If my scanner was bad, I wouldn't have an opposite color shift,
but a consistent one. Of course, I may be completely wrong in my assumptions.
I'd love to try a film scanner, but that's out of my possibilities at the
moment, and last I checked in shops, prices to have a scan of a b&w film done
were completely insane even for a very low quality.

--
Manuel Viet