[OM] Re: E-xxx shutter release count etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E-xxx shutter release count etc...
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:18:33 -0800
I've been experimenting based on two earlier posts (the one Iwert made
that I am replying to here, and another earlier one about firmware
display by Richard Lovison). Here's my results, for the E-1. I've
included both original posts (edited a bit) for reference. I've tried
both, see my notes after the procedures (I've obscured what may be
serial number or other identifying data). Hopefully I've made the text
lines narrow enough to not get too much weird line breakage in
transmission to the list.

A. Firmware readout on E-1 [may be the same on all
   E Series bodies]:

   1. Turn the E-1 on
   2. Open the storage media door
   3. Press down the Playback Mode button and OK
      button at the same time

      You will then get the firmware info displayed
      on the LCD monitor.

B. More "internal info" [ALL E series bodies?]:

   There's a neat little trick to know some statistics
   about your E-body:

   1: open the CF card door
   2: press "play" and "ok" at the same time
   3: press the arrows in this order: up; down; left; right
   4: fully depress shutter once
   5: press up arrow, and now there is magic on the screen

      pressing the arrows, you can go through some pages

      a: firmware details of attached goodies
      b: R= shutter release count (with my camera it was
         obviously reset during service), S= flashes
         fired, M= pixel mapping (mapped pixels?), U= SSWF ?

   At your own risk of course...

My notes:

A. Works exactly as stated. Good quick way to check
   firmware updates.
B. Mostly works as stated, some details are left out.
   1. The camera has to be on first (duh).
   2. Steps 2 and 3 need to be accomplished in fairly
      quick succession or you never get off the
      firmware display by subsequent arrow button presses.
   3. Each arrow direction displays a different "page"
        a. Pressing UP yields "PAGE 1" which displays
         (on my camera):
         MU 1403
         MB 1005
         M3 1403
         SL 2101
         L  1100
         F  ----

      Notes:
      Assuming this is firmware versions, as noted in
      the original message above, I'm guessing that the
      first three have something to do with the body,
      as 1.4 is my firmware version. No idea on "SL".
      "L" appears to be Lens firmware version. I'm
      betting "F" would show the Flash firmware version
      were one to be mounted and powered up.

      b. Pressing RIGHT displays "PAGE 2" which displays:
         R 00000589
         S 00000000
         M 00000000
         U 00000359

         Notes:
         I've nothing to add to the info originally
         presented.

      c. Pressing DOWN displays "PAGE 3":
         CS
         XXXXXXXXX [9 digit number, see below]
         MCS
         XXXXXXXXXX [10 digit number, see below]
         805102
         CAMID
         XXXXXXXXXX [10 digit number, see below]
         805102

         Notes:
         CS is definitely the Camera Serial as it
         matches my body's serial number tag (and
         that's why I haven't listed the output).
         MCS and CAMID are ? As you can see above,
         the second line of numbers matches in each
         entry. Additionally, the first line (again,
         not shown as I'm not sure of their meaning)
         of each entry is *almost* identical, with
         only the first number of each being different.
         I'm not sure if they're to be read as one
         continuous number or two, but they're listed
         here as displayed.

      d. Pressing LEFT displays:
         D:

         Notes:
         And that's it. No page label, no further data.

---
Scott Gomez