[OM] Re: Isle Royale Workshop

Subject: [OM] Re: Isle Royale Workshop
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:34:55 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

>Just a side note, Isle Royale has no bear, deer or skunks.  I'm
>trying to recall whether or not it even has squirrels!  There
>are beaver and tons of birds. The moose/wolf population is
>actually pretty high since they don't have to compete with other
>large grazers and preditators.  Yet, due to the island's size,
>the population is self-regulating.

Some years ago I saw on some nature show a confrontation between a pack
of wolves and an adult male moose. As I recollect, it was on Isle Royale
in winter, shot from the air. Quite exciting, too.

The moose got itself backed up against a thick bunch of trees, so it
couldn't be attacked from behind. Each time a wolf or two would try
rushing it to grab hold of some part, the moose would give them a good
kick. I don't know what the weight ratio is, but this was a bigger
wieght mismatch than a heavyweight against a few flyweights in the ring.
Depending on how good a kick the moose landed, the wolf would do
something between falling back out of range and literally flying maybe
20' through the air. When the score got up to about 20 to zip, and 2-3
of the wolves were limping around and looking pretty badly hurt, the
wolves gave up.

There are still lots of instances where size does matter. :-)

On another widlife show I saw a sequence where a couple of lions tried
to take down a water buffalo. They attacked from the rear and each got a
good hold on a haunch. The buffalo just walked down to the water,
dragging lions behind it, and walked in until it got deep enough that
the lions had to let go and swim back.

Moose