[OM] Re: 35mm f2.8 Shift

Subject: [OM] Re: 35mm f2.8 Shift
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:57:59 -0800
I was pretending to not be a zealot. Richard (imagecraft) bought a 35 shift
but sold it and converted to red dots. Some otherwise fine people don't get
it  ;-)

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Piers Hemy" <Piers@xxxxxxxxxx>

I know what you mena, Jeff, but I don't wholly agree.  A shift lens doesn't
sound like the ideal people lens - nor does a 35/2.8, but the shifitng
ability does give the opportunity to move the "vanishing point" of 3D
perspective around the frame in a way impossible with a non-shift.  Thus you
could, for example, have lots of lower left corner foreground lead-in to a
full figure upper right corner portrait, without the usual wide-angle
distortion at the edges of the frame.

Bottom line - try a shift lens in as many different ways as you can - you
won't be disappointed.

Piers