[OM] Re: Digital decisions

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital decisions
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:12:07 -0600
On 3/7/06, Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can't say I ever found the 800 ISO on the E-1 to be acceptable. That
> seems generous. Perhaps compared to film it is, but compared to what
> other DSLR's can do at  800 I don't find it acceptable and was one
> of the main factors for me switching from the E-1. That and other
> poor performance in low light situations. I have some people shots
> I took at 800 in low light and they are terrible and un-usable. If you need
> to take low light photos, especially at events, the E-1 focus and noise
> will bit hit or miss.

I didn't want to make the claim without posting a shot, which was made
at ISO 1600.  It is acceptable to me, although it's also not a formal
portrait, and perhaps noise actually enhanced the setting.  In any
case, under those lighting conditions I had no AF problems. The result
is what it is.

I'm curious, Wayne (and I know we've discussed your issues with the
E-1 before), do you remember your AF settings?  I was using a KatzEye
screen at the time and set the focus point for center only.  I
experienced no AF weirdness except when I pointed the lens into the
void.  Also I was using the DZ 50-200 exclusively.  Perhaps a tele
grabs on better.

Joel W.