[OM] [OT] Rolleiflexes (was: Re: Re: OM sort of )

Subject: [OM] [OT] Rolleiflexes (was: Re: Re: OM sort of )
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 00:02:57 +0100
In the message I received, ScottGee1 writes:

Hi Scott,

>Saso, is Official Service still available for the 6xxx series?

As far as I know, it is. But you'll most probably want to give Rollei US
a wide berth, given their less than stellar customer relations. ;-) The
Rollei User Group mentions a few names that are Camtech / Photosphere
equivalent for Rolleis over in the States.

Rollei released AF version of 6008 only a year or two ago, so parts for
older cameras are still available. Mine is a 12 year old 6008 SRC1000,
fresh from CLA, so I won't have to worry about service for a while.

>recall that they were generally regarded as equal or superior to the
>'blads, but struggled with and ultimately failed to create a viable
>infrastructure in the marketplace.

Technically they surpass 'blads, which are really just square boxes with
lens mount on one end, film magazine mount on the other end and a
focusing glass on the top. ;-) I still like 'blads, but they're
overrated, and in the case of first 500 series cameras, overpriced for
effectively a 50 year old camera.

Rollei's was the case of superior product and inferior support, at least
in the US. In Europe, their official support channels are/were great.

>                                    Dealers were few, rentals fewer
>and the distributor always seemed in a state of turmoil.  But they are
>technical marvels -- which is why I ask about service.

Yup. If you manage to get your hands on one for a short few minutes,
give it a spin. You'll have trouble putting it back down.

Cheers,

Saso