[OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 06:23:11 -0600
On 3/8/06, Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joel, Question, were these images reduced through down sampling
> in PS? Can you show an unprocessed 100% crop instead? Down
> sampling will make it look better.

Yes, these were reduced to normal web sizes.

> Here is a 100% crop converted
> in PS CS2 with no other processing:
>
> http://www.zuik.net/E1/800iso_A147882.jpg
>
> compared to other cameras, this is just too noisy for me. And
> really not that usable. Yes, you can post process it, and if you
> also reduce it, the noise is less apparent. But that is a lot of
> noise IMO. And I really love that purple tinge to the guy's hair.

I can't say that I see any unnatural tinge in the hair.  The color
looks warm but pretty good to me.  I certainly take your point about
the effect of reduction.

In your example, I would wonder a little about movement and blur as
contributing some negative effect.  And perhaps I am just insulating
myself from the devasting Heartbreak of Noise, but viewing at 100% is
not natural to me.  At 100% ISO 800 will definitely suffer in
comparison.  But I don't evaluate a photograph at actual pixels.  This
is one of my major beefs with dpreview-type reviews.  They simply
create milestones with respect to noise which have less to do with a
normal end result than is realistic.  I didn't even TRY ISO 1600 for
almost a year because the pundits said it wasn't usable.  I find that
I can use it, and while I prefer to work with ISO 100 images, the
results can be quite acceptable.  ISO 800 is definitely acceptable to
me.  At 100%?  Nothing would be acceptable.

For me 50% viewing is as high as I want to go.  Part of this may be
the way aliasing works on my monitor, however.  YMMV.

> Hey, but now that I look at it, hmmm, it has some nice artistic
> look to it, and if I take my glasses off and look from a distance
> it starts to look even ..... nah, the hair should just not be
> purple I tell ya. the purple just, nope, just doesn't do it for me.
>
> Wayne

It wouldn't do it for me either, but I don't see any purple at all!

Joel W.