[OM] Re: 80mm macro experiences?

Subject: [OM] Re: 80mm macro experiences?
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:57:39 +0000
Abe Lincoln once asked, "If you call a sheep's tail a leg, how many legs would
a sheep have?"

When someone quickly answered, "Five," ol' Abe said, "No.  Calling a sheep's
tail a leg doesn't make it one."

We say a 50mm lens on the E-1 is the equivalent of a 100mm lens on a 35mm
camera.  But it's still really a 50mm lens.  1:1 just means the size of the
image on the film, or sensor, is the same size and the object being
photographed.  Because you've cropped half of it off doesn't make it any bigger.

If I took my 90/2.8 Tamron macro and put it on one of my Graphics and shot
something 1:1, I would get a circle in the middle of a much larger piece of
film, but it would still be 1:1.  Same thing if you use it on an itty-bitty
piece of film, or sensor, and only get part of it.  1:1 is 1:1.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --