[OM] Re: 80mm macro experiences?

Subject: [OM] Re: 80mm macro experiences?
From: "Paul Martinez" <pdmphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:47:16 -0800
"*effective* focal length is imprecise"? That's the term coined by many
users of various digital formats. Even camera manufacturers use it. My
Minolta A2 has a 7.2-50.8mm lens on it. But KM says it has an effective
focal length of 28-200mm. Do users really care if the lens is actually a
7.2-50.8mm one? I know I don't. I care about what FOV (field of view) it
gives me for picture taking.

Yes, you are correct in that a film/ccd size doesn't change the actual focal
length. But when you out shopping for your next digicam don't tell them you
want an "actual" 28-200 lens. FOV is the key, not the "actual" focal length.
The easiest way for most to compare FOV between formats is to use the term
"effective" focal length, which correlates the FOV in comparison to the 35mm
format (because it's the most popular and best understood).

Paul