[OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:42:47 -0500
I converted with PS CS2. I'll recheck the conversion setting when
I get home. Both images were converted the same, pretty much.
I think the noise is a combination of the low light, and the type of
light. I would suspect that the WB required to correct for
incandescent lighting is probably boosting the noise. USM is
highly unlikely. The 5D was shot in similar lighting, and is clearly
a several stops better performer.

Since I don't have the E-1 in my possession at the moment, this
is the best I can do for a comparison. When I can, I will endeavor
to test again. But I really don't think the E-1 I used is off, defective
or out of the norm. Remember, these are 100% crops.

Does anyone know whether the WB sensor in any way affects
the raw camera data, like A/D gain or exposure, or is it purely a
post processing parameter?

All this begs the question though, if I had the same situation again,
I would have the same lighting and the same problem getting a
good image with any E-1 camera.

Wayne