[OM] Re: Dvorak - Photojournalist

Subject: [OM] Re: Dvorak - Photojournalist
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:29:41 -0500
"Mount Kosciusko, is situated in New South Wales and is recorded as
having a height of 2230 metres. It was named in 1839 by Polish explorer,
Paul Edmund de Strzelecki after Polish leader, Tadeusz Kosciusko."

The name is pronounced Kosh-chewsh'-ko (long o's) and, as with all
Polish words, the accent is on the next to the last syllable.  The
proper spelling may actually be Kosciuszko but the pronunciation would
be the same as long as both "s" have a diacritical mark called a
"kreska" in Polish.  It looks like an accent mark and turns the
pronunciation of "s" into "sh".  In Polish, "sz" and "cz" are pronounced
like "sh" and "ch" in English.

Tadeusz (Ta-day'-oosh) was an even more famous guy in America as he
played a major military role during the revolution.  Excellent engineer.
<http://info-poland.buffalo.edu/classroom/kosciuszko/timeline.html>

It's pretty difficult for me to tell you how to pronounce Strzelecki but
if you say Ssche-lets'-kee ("che" as in "chet") you'll be pretty close.

And, no, I'm not Polish.

Chuck Norcutt