[OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.

Subject: [OM] Re: It's happened. I've relented.
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:02:30 -0700
Well, since I started a related thread in a very *bitchy* tone a
couple of weeks back, mebbe I should kick in here too.  8^>

I look at offerings as much in terms of the lens range available as
anything else, and I recently handled a Canon 5D with a Sigma 12-24mm
ultra-freakin'-wide-angle zoom lens attached.

Oh, *baby*.  Do me.  Do me *now*.

Yummy.  I mean it.  I want stuff like this, with the same kind of
field of view, for the Oly E-thingies.  But the E-thingies still
beckon to me, both for the build quality that can be achieved when
Oly's trying to be professional rather than consumer or prosumer, and
the 2x mag factor for the 4/3rds format means that relatively small
lenses can have tremendous reach (on the tele end) or great
compactness (on the wide end), and still be bright and relatively lightweight.

In the Sigma vein, Oly's got some very nice wide angles that I'd love
to slap on a body custom-designed for 'em, but I want that pro-level
body.  Period.  End of sentence.  I'm *hard* on my cameras in the
field, mostly 'cause I'm a goof and a screw-up, and I *need* a body
that can deal with the day-to-day insult of having me use 'em.  My
KonicaMinolta A1's a nice camera, but I keep handling it with kid
gloves, and just the other day, as I was screwing on the 300mm
tele-extender, I realized that, whatever else, sooner or later I was
gonna do something stupid with the equipment (like, say, strip the
front threads on the A1's lens), and then my poor A1 was gonna be
toast.  Kaput.  Finito.  No Longer In The Building.

Aaaaarghhh!  Why the Hell can't Oly do the same trick that Canon
keeps doing?  I'm practically begging them to take my money, and they
keep saying "NO!"

Garth