[OM] Controls and switches

Subject: [OM] Controls and switches
From: "John Nelson" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:26:21 -0000
>Are aircraft controls also backwards?  Push forward on the stick to go up,
pull back to go down?<

No. Ease the stick forward, nose goes down. Ease it back, nose goes up. Or
as we say in the trade "move the control column forward and the houses get
bigger. Move it back and the houses get smaller, but keep moving it and the
houses get larger again".

Aircraft switches are up for on and down for off, the idea presumably being
that it's less dangerous to turn things off by accident than to turn them
on.

It's been a long time since my BBC days, but our linear faders were in the
opposite sense to everyone else's. Even our Neve desks were different. There
again, I much preferred rotary faders on a B2 (that dates me . . .)

--

John Nelson
Crew Green Consulting Ltd

www.crew-green.com